Wednesday, December 8, 2010

First Blog Entry

I have been thinking about creating a blog for some time now, but for reasons mainly based upon being too busy or too tired (once I did have a few spare moments) it just never happened. Also, I didn’t even think to pray about it until just recently. When I finally did pray it became clear that I needed to make this blog not just about me, Dustin, Emery, family, friends, or just life in general, but also about my Savior. I don’t want to create something just to leave a mark, to make memories, or to make myself feel special. Although I’d love to do all those things (I especially like feeling special), I want this blog to reflect the glory of my Lord. Although, as you’ll probably figure out (or maybe you already know), I’m not the best writer, the most creative, most witty, and I definitely don’t have the most interesting life, but I hope that in the entries I write, Christ can somehow be reflected.

The clock in our bedroom is still one hour ahead of all the other clocks in our home, even more than a month after daylight savings. It only takes a few seconds to set it back, and although I look at it multiple times per day (and night) I have yet to take the time to do it. I think I’ve actually become content with just leaving it. I don’t know why. Is it laziness? Apathy? Unconsciously wanting to see if it can stay one hour behind until the next daylight savings? Whatever the reason, it got me thinking. What other things in my life are left in this state?

Jonathan Edwards wrote, “Resolved, never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.” (The Works of Jonathan Edwards, vol. 1)

I don’t want to become apathetic in life, in relationships with family and friends, and especially not in my relationship with God. Every moment is a gift. Every breath I take is grace; grace to use the next moment to glorify Him. Not to be redundant, but eternity is, well eternal. Forever and ever and ever. I pray that I can be more faithful with the things God has given me and not live an apathetic life, content with an unlived day passing by. I pray that, like Paul, I’ll be able to say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment