Monday, December 20, 2010

A spoonful of sugar

I’m so thankful for my wonderful husband who brings me to my senses and to the reality of useless worrying. While trying to get Emery’s photo book completed and ordered, my continuing education credits completed, tests submitted, Christmas cards and birthday cards addressed and mailed, gifts purchased, hats knitted, illustrations drawn before the end of the year, etc. I became very stressed and cranky. Of course, he very cool-headedly calmed me down and led me to scripture and prayer.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6

“I Will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help [comes] from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2

“Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.” Psalm 37:5

Why is it so easy to fall into the trap of anxiety? Why is getting upset and angry like the flip of a switch? We can go from a great mood to frustrated and frantic as soon as we think about all that needs to be done and the time constraints with which to do them.

“Do all things without grumbling” Phil 2:14. “Be joyful always” I Thess. 5:16. It’s already a challenge to do things without excessive grumbling or stressing, but to do the task joyfully? Joy: intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness. Really?! How do we have an attitude of exultant happiness while doing our most hated tasks, like cleaning the toilet, going grocery shopping, shoveling the driveway, etc. Not to mention staying cool-headed when things have deadlines and we have limited time with which to do them.  And always? Always, meaning regardless of the difficulty level, the lack of sleep I had the night before, or how much I might detest the task at hand. Of course, the first thing I think of is Mary Poppins singing “a spoonful of sugar” while getting the two kids to clean their room. I looked up the lyrics if you don’t remember what I’m talking about…

In ev'ry job that must be done 
There is an element of fun 
you find the fun and snap! 
The job's a game 

And ev'ry task you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake
A lark! A spree!
It's very clear to see 
That a... 

Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down 
The medicine go down-wown 
The medicine go down 
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down 
In a most delightful way
 
A robin feathering his nest 
Has very little time to rest 
While gathering his 
Bits of twine and twig 

Though quite intent in his pursuit 
He has a merry tune to toot 
He knows a song 
Will move the job along


Even though things might not be done by their deadlines, things might not (and usually don’t) go as planned, and, of course, those unfortunate tasks still have to be done, the Lord works all things together for the good of those who love him and He will give us a joyful heart if only we ask. John Piper said, “Grumbling is an evidence of little faith in the gracious providence of God in all the affairs of our lives. And little faith is a dishonor to him. It belittles his sovereignty and wisdom and goodness.”

I will pray that God gives me an attitude of holiness, of grumble-less living, of singing a merry tune while I work, and of joy…always.

No comments:

Post a Comment